In addition to face to face sessions, I am an experienced online counsellor and have been working online since 2013.
I offer online sessions by voice only, video, messaging, email and phone.
We will use Zoom for messaging, video and voice only. This is a safe platform which uses passwords and has a locking facility for additional security. You do not need to download Zoom, but just click on the link that I will send you. I use a new invitation for each session to ensure confidentiality.
If you opt for counselling by email, I will ask you to set up a ‘’protonmail’’ account which is encrypted and secure, prior to our first meeting.
Online counselling requirements
- For online sessions, you will need to be able to be in a private space which is free from interruptions and in which you cannot be overheard.
- You need to have access to a reliable internet with sufficient bandwidth. If your internet or bandwidth are poor, you may have sufficient to attend sessions with audio only i.e. without video because video needs more bandwidth.
- We will need to have alternative contact details for each other, such as mobile phone or landline in case of technical problems including an interruption to internet facilities, during online sessions.
- One of the features of online counselling is what is called the ‘disinhibition factor’ and this means that you may go deeper more quickly online than you would in face to face sessions. I will do my best to ensure that you are sufficiently grounded at the end of sessions and you are strongly advised to leave enough time after sessions, to reflect on and process the work done in counselling before returning to your work, studies, family, etc.
- Online counselling may not be suitable for everyone. If we decide that online counselling would not be the best way of supporting you, I will do my best to signpost you to alternative sources of support.
- I will need to have an emergency contact for you before starting online work.
Working online in addition to adhering to the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions, 2018, I also work within the ACTO [Association for Counselling and Therapy Online] Professional Conduct and Code of Ethics.
If you are interested in online counselling, please contact me for more information or to make an appointment.